This winter is far from over and if you’re recovering from a recent oral procedure that has left you with pain or discomfort, we want to make sure you can stay warm while eating some great soft foods. If you’ve seen your local dentist and your teeth are feeling a bit tender, or you just want a delicious recipe to keep you toasty and warm, try this Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Bites recipe.
To make it from scratch you will need:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
To make it from a can, you’ll need:
- 1 can of your favorite tomato soup
To make the grilled cheese bites:
- 2 teaspoons of butter
- 2 slices wheat bread
- 2 slices of sharp cheddar cheese
If you’re making soup from a can, simply follow the directions and skip to the grilled cheese bites part of this recipe.
- Start by adding the olive oil to a large pan and heating up the oil on a low heat.
- Add the onions to the oil and let them simmer in the bottom of a soup pot for 15 min. until golden brown. Stir occasionally.
- Add your garlic to the pot for one minute.
- Take the tomatoes out of the can and crush them in a bowl.
- Add vegetable broth, tomatoes, crushed red pepper flakes, and butter to the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- While you’re waiting for your soup to cook, make your grilled cheese bites.
- Heat up a griddle or large flat pan on the oven top. Set it to medium heat.
- Place the cheese between the bread and generously butter the top and bottom of the bread.
- Place the cheese sandwich on the pan for a few minutes until one side is golden brown, then flip.
- Take the sandwich off when both sides are golden brown and the cheese has melted, then cut into small squares.
- Place the squares in your soup when it’s ready to be served and enjoy. The soup will make the bread soft as well as delicious.