What Is It Like Getting a Tooth Crown? Does It Hurt?2015-07-22
What Chewing Tobacco Does to Your Teeth2015-08-05
Having crooked teeth can put a huge dent in your self-confidence. Maybe you no longer smile at events, or find yourself covering your mouth when you engage in a conversation.
If you’ve ever found yourself looking in the mirror and wishing you had straight teeth, there are now quite a few options for straightening out your smile being provided by dental professionals. The two most popular options, braces and Invisalign, each come with their own set of advantages and disadvantages.
Though making a decision either way can be a great step, talking to a dentist office or orthodontist about your unique situation can ensure that you will reap the benefits from straighter teeth and a beautiful smile.
What’s Different About Invisalign Braces?
Invisalign braces were founded in 1997 and have many benefits to them.
Instead of attaching a huge chunk of metal into your mouth as braces do, Invisalign are clear plastic aligners that are virtually invisible. They are retainers that are molded to your teeth and are specifically designed to help you reach a better alignment. Though there are now also clear braces or invisible braces, these retainers tend to blend right in to your face and are hardly noticeable. To start the process, X-rays are taken of your mouth and jaw at your orthodontic office in order to help come up with a treatment plan to straighten your teeth out. Once the x-rays are taken, then the aligners are created.
These clear aligners stay on your teeth all the time, but can be removed to eat, which is a huge advantage from traditional braces. Invisalign aligners get changed out periodically (about every 2 weeks) in order to bring you closer to the smile you’re looking for. The process for most cases will take a little over a year.
Constantly taking the aligners off can slow the treatment process, so Invisalign is even designed that you can leave them in to eat if you wish. When eating with traditional braces, remnants of food can easily get caught amongst the wires and metal brackets, making them difficult to clean. For Invisalign, you simply have to wash them out under the tap and pop them back in.
Invisalign are also more comfortable than traditional metal braces. These often tug on the teeth and can cause a certain amount of discomfort. The clear retainer trays are designed to be much more gentle, without as much pressure in the mouth causing discomfort.
However, if you have severely rotated teeth or very large correctional issues, braces may be the only way to correctly align your smile and get your teeth straightened correctly.
Are Invisalign Retainers More Expensive Than Braces?
Overall, whether you are deciding to go the traditional route with braces, or instead opt for the clear retainers, the cost will be determined based on the scope of the work. If you have severe teeth alignment needs, the price will increase. That is due to the amount of doctor visits and readjustments made to braces, or the number of Invisalign trays you will need.
Overall, traditional braces can range anywhere from $2,500 to $6,000. Invisalign retainers can range anywhere from $3,500 to $8,000, possibly making them more expensive based on your alignment needs and the duration of time you will need them for. On the other hand, both braces and Invisalign are covered by most dental plans, decreasing the costs exponentially. Get in touch with your Greensboro dentist office to see if they cover your insurance.
Why Choose Invisalign?
- Traditional braces include chunks of metal and wires that can poke you in the mouth. Not only is that inconvenient, but it can also be fairly painful. With Invisalign braces, you can remove the mold temporarily if they are bothering you, and they don’t stick out and poke you.
- This also means that you can eat any foods you want as you wear Invisalign. You don’t have to worry about biting into an apple or enjoying some delicious caramel from time to time.
- Invisalign is simple to clean, since food won’t be getting caught in them. You can take them out while you brush your teeth; no more pipe cleaner brushes to clean behind wires!
- You won’t even notice you’re wearing Invisalign. If you were worried about your appearance while you are working on your smile, then Invisalign would be a good choice for you. Since they are clear, they will barely be noticed.
- You still have the availability to go to the dentist as often as you like. With traditional braces there are concerns of strange patterns on your teeth from staining, but with Invisalign you can remove the mold and continue with your visit as usual!
- Your cheeks and gums will not be irritated with Invisalign braces. The smooth plastic is a more comfortable alternative compared to those wires poking away at your teeth.
- Invisalign braces are a lot easier on everyone’s schedule. Invisalign only requires visits every four to six weeks, whereas traditional braces require you to go in more frequently in order to tighten or possibly cut wires.
- At Friendly Dentistry, there are payment plans that can be put into place if you’re concerned about the cost. This allows you to get back to the smile you want and deserve without stressing about the costs.
The experienced dentists and orthodontists at Friendly Dentistry can help recommend the right service and orthodontic treatment plan for you. If you’re looking to improve your smile, then contact Friendly Dentistry today and we can get started on an alignment plan especially designed to help that beautiful smile shine! Make an appointment request today and let’s find the right treatment option!