What You Need To Know About Getting Your Mouth Numb at the Dentist2018-03-05
What are Invisalign Braces?2018-05-22
Are Veneers Permanent?
Did you know that the first facial expression a baby makes is smiling and it begins as early as when the child is in the womb? It’s human nature to smile. Research shows that this simple act boosts your immune system, reduces your blood pressure, exercises important face muscles, and makes you easier to approach in the real world. Smiling also minimizes stress and allows you to think more optimistically. However, if you have insecurities about your teeth, smiling is an anxiety-inducing labor.
Maybe you look in the mirror every morning, and you are scared to even crack a smile to yourself because you’re embarrassed by your teeth. There’s no reason to let those negative feelings destroy your self-confidence or dictate your life but it’s hard to ignore the fact that these emotions make everyday life challenging, both in personal and professional ways. That is why so many patients invest in dental veneers. With a simple procedure, dental veneers remedy issues that make it hard to smile, including:
- Teeth eroded by gum disease and decay.
- Teeth lacking the necessary amount of base enamel.
- Teeth with significant tooth structure missing.
- Severely misaligned teeth.
Whether your issues are cosmetic or structural, dental veneers provide patients with the teeth they’ve always wanted so they can’t stop smiling each and every day. The process of redesigning your smile does come with valid questions, such as: Are dental veneers permanent? Are there methods for maintaining dental veneers? Are there disadvantages to having dental veneers? You’ll be surprised to learn how easy it is to make dental veneers an easy and permanent part of your life.
How Long Do Veneers Last?
This is probably the question that dentists receive the most when discussing dental veneers with their patients. Everyone wants a quick solution that lasts a lifetime. Even though veneers have evolved considerably since they were first used on movie stars in the early days of Hollywood, this dental fix does have its own lifespan.
While dental veneers are not a permanent fix to your dental issues, these implants last between 7-15 years. That is a significant time difference, and you might be wondering why some dental veneers last for seven years while others remain intact for up to 15. Once your dentist has placed your dental veneers, it’s up to you to properly maintain them.
Pros & Cons of Veneers
As with any decision, there are both benefits and disadvantages. It’s no different for dental veneers. Patients have found that the benefits of dental veneers include:
- Improve worn down, broken, chipped, discolored, misaligned, uneven, or oddly-shaped teeth with a simple procedure.
- Each dental veneer is custom-made to match the luminosity, color, and features of your natural teeth.
- No special maintenance is required.
- Select the tooth color that you most desire.
- It’s impossible to tell the difference between a real tooth and a dental veneer.
- The procedure to place dental veneers is efficient, painless, and fast.
As for the downsides of dental veneers, the disadvantages to consider are:
- The procedure is not reversible.
- The possibility of increased tooth sensitivity, which eventually fades in most cases.
- Your teeth will naturally change color over the years but veneers will not.
- Porcelain dental veneers may chip or crack if you bite your nails, chew on ice, or grind your teeth.
- Tooth decay under a dental veneer can occur, which may lead to necessary root canals and/or crowns.
5 Tips for Making Your Veneers Last
Once you’ve gotten your new dental veneers, it is your responsibility to make them last for as long as possible. It does not take a huge adjustment to your daily routine to ensure your veneers maintain their brightness for years to come. Follow these five simple tips to make your veneers last.
- Schedule semi-annual checkups and cleanings with your dentist.
- Twice a day, brush your teeth with a non-abrasive fluoride toothpaste.
- Always wear a mouthguard when playing sports or exercising.
- Do not use your teeth as though they were a tool. Trying to tear through a package with your teeth will damage veneers quickly.
- If you suffer from teeth grinding, address this issue with your dentist, so you do not wreck your lovely dental veneers.
Ultimately, caring for dental veneers is as easy as caring for your natural teeth, as long as you practice good oral hygiene habits.
Are Veneers Worth It?
In our expert opinion, dental veneers are absolutely worth the investment. However, the decision is up to you.
If you struggle with your self-esteem because you feel ashamed of your smile, dental veneers are a viable solution that will transform your life. For those starting a new chapter in their lives, whether it’s a job search or dating, dental veneers empower you to present the best version of yourself with a set of teeth that dazzles everyone you encounter.
A minimally invasive procedure that corrects dental imperfections, dental veneers create a healthy, gorgeous smile. Speak with the experts at Friendly Dentistry today to schedule your dental veneers consultation.