Get Sedation Dental Care Without the Fear
At Friendly Dentistry in Greensboro, NC, we understand that some people get anxious when it comes to visiting the dentist– so much so that they may even avoid seeking necessary dental care. Dental anxiety and unease when it comes to dental care is exactly what sedation dentistry is designed to address.
Sedation dentistry, in short, is the use of mild anesthesia to help numb the area where you’re receiving dental care. As is the case when most forms of general anesthesia are administered, the anesthesia we administer allows us to provide you with the best dental care without you having to worry about the pain. Without the pain to worry about, dental anxiety sufferers can remain calm, confident, and proactive about their dental care.
Whether you suffer from mild dental anxiety or severe dental phobia, it’s still crucial for you to receive the dental treatment that you need. With the proper dental care, seemingly minor tooth problems can be detected and repaired before they further develop into more severe dental issues. You may not know about a potential problem if you don’t see your dentist regularly.
Friendly Dentistry offers its customers the best sedation dental services in Greensboro, NC and the surrounding area. Simply put, our goal is to help our patients feel more comfortable. With sedation dentistry, you can lie back, relax and let us craft you the perfect smile– anxiety free!
What To Expect From Our Sedation Dentistry Process
There’s no need to be afraid of being sedated during your dental procedure – it is meant to help you relax and feel comfortable. Sedation dentistry will not cause you to fall asleep, even though sometimes you may feel like you woke up from a four-hour nap after the procedure. Instead, the dental anesthesia we administer will allow you to feel relaxed, peaceful and comfortable throughout the dental procedure.
In fact, many patients at Friendly Dentistry say they don’t even notice time passing and feel completely at ease during their dental cleaning. Since many medications used in sedation dentistry have an amnesiac effect, you may even have little or no memory that the dental appointment happened at all. Don’t be alarmed. This is completely normal. Along with easing anxiety and helping us provide even better dental care, many patients say the sedation dentistry process also gives them a much needed break!
The sedation dentistry process is simple. Here’s what it looks like.
- Before your appointment, your dentist will give you one pill to take orally. The sedation medication we use is Triazolam, a derivative of Valium. We have used Triazolam for years because it is a safe, painless and effective anesthestic with proven results.
- Before your procedure begins, we will connect you to a medical monitor, which will allow us to track your blood pressure, pulse and blood oxygen levels during sedation.
- If you are not comfortable enough, we can easily administer more sedation medicine, as needed, so you can relax.
- Given the time it typically takes any form of anesthesia to wear off, you will need a driver to take you to and from the appointment.
My teeth were making me look really old. So, I decided that if I could get them fixed up, maybe it would help. And it did, a lot! I’m much more comfortable giving a big grin… It was painless, it was easy and it was so worth anything to go through this. I love my teeth!”
Sedation Dentistry FAQ
If you’re feeling apprehensive about going to the dentist or using dental sedation or dental anesthesia, here are some questions you can ask to help you feel more at ease.
Local anesthesia is most commonly used for dental work. During treatment, it helps prevent pain in a specific area of your mouth. By blocking the nerves that sense or transfer pain, the dental anesthetic helps numb your mouth’s tissues. Sometimes topical anesthetics are used to calm painful mouth sores. Injectable anesthetics are helpful for procedures like filling cavities, treating gum disease or preparing teeth for crowns.
There are also various types of dental sedation. These include:
- General anesthesia. General anesthesia is the most common, comfortable solution for our patients. Our dentists have performed thousands of dental sedation and general anesthetics over the years.
- Oral sedation. As we mentioned above, there are several oral sedation techniques we can use to make our patients as relaxed as possible. Our dentists administer Triazolam prior to treatment. It is safe and effective.
- Nitrous Oxide. This chemical may be more familiar with those that have suffered from dental anxiety for some time. Nitrous Oxide is a sedating gas, also known as laughing gas. Nitrous Oxide provides patients who may have had a traumatic dental experience in the past, a more comforting and tranquil setting.
If you experience or have experienced one or more of the following, you might have dental anxiety. That’s why an experienced anesthesia and sedation dentist like us can help.
- Lack of numbness/resistance to Novocaine during common dental procedures
- A traumatic dental experience in the past
- Fear of ridicule due to significant dental damage
- A sensitive gag reflex, sensitive gums or sensitive teeth
Anesthesia and sedation dentistry is also an option for individuals who require several procedures in one treatment, or those who require a significantly long treatment. If you live near Greensboro, NC area and you’re interested in getting general anesthesia or being sedated for your next dentist appointment, contact our Greensboro dentist office today!
Think of dental sedation as a “lighter sleep.” You’ll be asleep but you’ll still be able to respond to touch, light or sound. Dental sedation is often used when a small area needs to be worked on, and general anesthesia is not necessary. General anesthesia is a“deeper sleep.” Of course, dental care varies in complexity, so a patient who receives dental care often may have experienced both at some point or another.
Find a Local Sedation Dentist Near You
If dental anesthesia or sedation sounds like the right choice for you, you have plenty of safe options available at Friendly Dentistry. Our Greensboro dentists have helped hundreds of people achieve a healthy and beautiful smile, while also guiding them through a calm and comfortable sedation process.
Don’t let dental anxiety hold you back any longer! We’re one phone call away. If you’re still not sure about getting anesthesia or sedation at your next dental visit, you can also chat with us on the phone or drop by our office anytime. We’ll do your best to answer your questions and ease your fears.